Landlord's Gas Boiler

With gas boiler cover, our network of Gas Safe registered engineers are on hand, ready to take your tenants' from chilly to cosy in no time. Plus you’ll get a Boiler Service and Gas Safety Certificate included.

a month in your first year
Annual price : £174
Your excess : £60
Your excess is the amount you’ll have to pay upfront each time you make a claim. This insurance is also available with a £100 excess for £11 a month.
Your price will increase at renewal, but you’ll always receive a reminder. If you choose to continue into your second year, the expected price for customers who haven’t made a claim is £31.07 a month* (£372.84 for the year). The price includes the cost of your Boiler Service and Gas Safety Certificate.

Apply now

This insurance is for

  • Landlords whose tenanted properties are heated with natural gas
  • Landlords who want cover for their tenanted property’s gas boiler

What's covered

  • A boiler breakdown leading to loss of heating and hot water
  • Repairs to your boiler’s controls and components
  • A leaking gas supply pipe
  • A gas boiler service
  • A gas safety inspection

What isn't covered

  • Faulty radiators
  • Water pipes, tanks and cylinders external to your boiler
  • The gas pipe leading into your meter
  • Boiler installation costs (parts, labour and VAT) where the existing boiler is aged 7 years or over

Let’s get started

  • First, check you're not covered elsewhere

    This is to make sure you're not paying for cover you don't need.
  • Check you're eligible - this cover is for landlords only

    Protection for mobile homes, park homes, business premises, council and housing association properties is not included in this policy.
  • Don't forget to read the policy documents

    It’s important that you read the Insurance Product Information Document and the Terms and Conditions before taking out the policy.
Remove the stress and cost of unexpected gas boiler problems...
Did you know the average cost to replace a 22mm motorised diverter valve and reconnect to existing control wiring is £314?
With Landlord's Gas Boiler cover, you only pay the first £60 excess per claim.
Learn more about costs
  • Avg cost to fix
  • Replace burnt out thermocouple
  • Replace cylinder thermostat
  • Replace timer/programmer
  • Repair or replacement of leaking feed/return pipe
  • Replace expansion vessel
BCIS© Research, September 2023 (prices include labour, parts, call-out charges and VAT)

Frequently asked questions

  • Am I eligible for this insurance?

    • This insurance is only for landlords.

      It doesn’t include protection for mobile homes or park homes. Business premises and council and housing association properties cannot be covered.

      The boiler(s) at your property must have a power input of less than 70 KW and be fired by natural gas (not LPG, electricity or oil), and gas supply pipes must be 35 mm or less in diameter.

  • What information will I need to buy this insurance?

    • To make buying your policy as simple as possible, please make sure you have the following information to hand:

      • Details of the house, bungalow or flat you want to cover
      • Details of how it is heated (for example, the make of your boiler)
      • A valid email address
      • The bank details of whoever will pay for the insurance.
  • What happens if I change my mind?

    • There is a cancellation period that begins at the same time as your policy. This is shown in your Policy Schedule as the Cancellation Period.

      If you cancel your policy during the cancellation period and have not made a claim, you will receive a full refund.

      If you have made a claim, you will receive a refund less an amount for the number of days which you have been on cover.

      If you cancel after the cancellation period and have not made a claim, you will receive a refund less an amount for the number of days you have been on cover.

      If you have made a claim, you will be required to pay any remaining payments due for the term of your policy.

      See the terms and conditions of your policy for more information on cancellation.

  • When will I be able to make my first claim?

    • Once your policy is set up, your boiler must pass the boiler health check before HomeServe can progress any claim you might make.

      Take a look at the terms and conditions of your policy for full details.

  • When and how will I have to pay my excess?

    • You will have to pay £60 for each claim you make. We’ll need this payment before your claim can be progressed.

      It is the landlord’s responsibility to pay the excess, however, we will accept payment from the tenant in order to allow the claim to proceed.

      We can only accept payment using the following cards: Mastercard, Visa, Visa Debit or Maestro.

      Please read the terms and conditions of your policy for full details.

  • What’s a boiler health check, and why does my boiler need one?

    • The boiler will be given a health check within the first year you’re covered by HomeServe. This is an initial inspection during which a Gas Safe registered engineer will check your boiler to ensure it is safe and can be insured.

      The boiler must pass this health check before any boiler insurance claims you make can be progressed.

      The boiler health check must be booked or completed within your first 90 days as a HomeServe customer, and it’s easy to arrange your appointment, simply give us a call.

      Any previous landlord policies held with us prior to 31.03.2022 will not be subject to a new boiler health check.

      Please note that in your first year with HomeServe, your boiler health check, boiler service and gas safety inspection will be carried out during the same appointment even though they are separate inspections. For more information, read our guide to the differences between a boiler health check and a boiler service.

  • When will my boiler service and gas safety inspection be carried out?

    • In your first year as a HomeServe customer we’ll carry out your boiler service at the same time as performing your boiler health check and gas safety inspection.

      After this, if your insurance cover includes a boiler service it will usually be carried out sometime between April and September.

  • Is my boiler service and gas safety inspection part of my insurance cover?

    • No. Your boiler service and gas safety inspection are not elements of your insurance and therefore are not part of the contract of insurance underwritten by the underwriter. Nor are they regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

      This means that if you have any complaint relating to your boiler service or gas safety inspection, you will not have the right to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

      HomeServe also offers standalone boiler services and gas safety inspections.

  • What if I need a repair that isn’t covered by my insurance?

    • Don’t worry. HomeServe’s one off repairs team can help!

      We offer a range of fixed price services that will help keep your home running smoothly. All our repairs are carried out by HomeServe approved experts. Call our team on 0330 0247 064 to find out more.

      Lines are open on weekdays from 8am to 6.30pm (except bank holidays) and Saturdays from 8am to 4pm. We are closed on Sundays. Calls will cost you no more than the rate of a standard call and charges may vary depending on your network provider. Calls are recorded for quality control and training purposes.

  • Are there types of gas heating systems this insurance won’t cover?

    • Yes. Landlords whose tenanted properties are heated by dual-purpose boilers, a warm air heating system, combination cylinders or thermal storage units are not eligible to buy this policy.

  • What if I suspect I have a gas leak?

    • If you think you have a gas leak, call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999.

  • What happens if my boiler is beyond economical repair (BER)?

    • In your first year of cover, or if you change your tenanted address after 6 months:

      • If the boiler is BER and the boiler is under 7 years of age, we will replace it.
      • If the boiler is over 7 years of age, we will replace it, but you will be required to pay for the installation costs (including parts, labour and VAT).
  • What happens after I’ve had my cover for a year?

    • Your cover is set up so that it will automatically renew every year. This is to make the process of renewing easier and ensure your tenanted property has continuous cover. We’ll send you a reminder about 4 weeks before your cover is due to renew. This will confirm the price of your cover for the next year and prompt you to check that it still meets your needs.

      The price of your cover will increase at renewal. Customers about to renew their cover for a second year can expect to pay £31.07 a month (£372.84 for the year), provided they have made no claims. This price includes the cost of your Boiler Service and gas Safety Certificate.

      If you’d rather your cover didn’t automatically renew, you can cancel this feature when you apply. Alternatively, you can contact us to switch off automatic renewal at any time afterwards.

      If you decide you don’t want your cover to automatically renew, you’ll need to contact us each year to renew it yourself and organise payment.

  • Will I have to pay any extra fees or charges?

    • No. You only have to pay your insurance premium and - in the event you make a claim - your excess.

      Our prices include all fees and Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).

  • Who provides this insurance?

    • This policy is sold, arranged and administered by HomeServe and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited. Aviva Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

      Aviva Insurance Limited is registered in Scotland as company number 2116. Its registered address is:

      PH2 0NH.

      HomeServe is an insurance intermediary and arranges and administers this policy on behalf of the underwriter. HomeServe is a trading name of HomeServe Membership Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for general insurance and credit broking activities, under firm reference number 312518.

      Our registered address is:

      Cable Drive,
      West Midlands,
      WS2 7BN.

      HomeServe Membership Limited is registered in England as company number 2770612. Our VAT registration number is GB559669669.

      The regulatory status of Aviva Insurance Limited and HomeServe can be checked on the Financial Conduct Authority’s Financial Services Register.

  • Where can I find the product documents and terms and conditions that relate to my policy?

*Premiums include Insurance Premium Tax at the relevant rate and are subject to factors such as inflation and tax rate changes.

Change your excess

This insurance is also available with a £100 excess for £11 a month

Change excess

Looking for something different?

We offer a range of options, so you can pick the one that works for you

Find the right cover

Unsure about something?

No problem! We’re always happy to help

Get in touch